Adult Services

Adult Services

adult-servicesDevelopmental Services Ontario (DSO) determines eligibility and refers all adults with developmental disabilities to connect to services and supports funded through the Ministry of Social Services.

Adult Protective Services
Serving Huron and Perth

Adults over age 18 who have a developmental disability and live independently in the community are eligible for the support of an Adult Protective Service Worker (APSW).

The APSW provides co-ordination of services, advocacy, counselling and emotional support.

A support plan is developed based on the unique needs, choices and preferences of each adult, enabling them to learn and handle basic skills required for day-to-day living, such as budgeting, grocery shopping, riding on the city bus and/or finding a new home.

An APSW worker can arrange for needed supports and services such as medical or legal professionals and connect a person with helpful community resources. They work with the team involved to ensure supports are working well for the person.

APSW’s listen through difficult times to support the person to set their own goals and move towards living the life they want within the community.

Foundations / Community Participations Supports
Serving Perth

  • Young adults, aged 18 to 25, with disabilities build life skills and gain experience that will help them make important choices about their future. Each young person creates their own unique plan guiding their future.

    Supported by a trained service provider, youth transition from high school into adult life pursuing goals like independent living, post-secondary education, making new social connections, recreation, work and volunteer opportunities. A literacy/numeracy  instructor teaches practical skills, such as personal banking, grocery shopping and menu planning.

    Voices provides self-advocacy and leadership training skills.

Familyhome Program
Serving Huron, Perth, Grey and Bruce

The Familyhome Program partners people who would like to share their lives and homes with an adult who has a developmental disability. Individual needs are planned in a flexible and personal manner in a supportive and caring environment.

A Homeprovider may be single person, a couple or family welcoming a person needing support to live in their home. A Homesharer is a person choosing to live with a family in the community. A  Familyhome Worker is available on call to support the needs of the Homeprovider, Homesharer and the natural family. The Homesharer often learns new skills and enjoys taking part in community activities, such as employment, day trips and supervised sports.

Please call if you are interested in becoming a Homesharer or to learn more.